Saturday 27 August 2011

I've arrived!

On Thursday the three of us got our first flight from Gatwick. We flew with Emirates to Dubai and then to Narita. The flights were ok because it didn't feel like that long even though it was a 6 hour followed by a 9 hour flight here, but the food wasn't so good on one of the flights. I think it was either the food or the travelling or a bit of both that made me a bit ill on the flights- but that soon went away. When we arrived at Narita airport Aki was there to greet us and take us to where we are staying. First we got the train to Tokyo station, then we went to find somewhere cheap to eat. We went to Matsuya, and had gyumeshi. I think this was a rice bowl with meat, onions and sauce on top. I like it though, whatever it was. They rode with me on the train to my hotel. On the flight I thought I'd lost my camera at Gatwick airport but I found it when I got to the hotel- so I have no photos of the journey....

The next day I woke up at 5 wide awake so i went for a walk around Asagaya and then to Roppongi to meet Amanda and Tsukasa. Very difficult to meet someone at a station without a phone!! We went to Nanoka's house (a friend from Leeds) for a little bit to change into Yuukata ready for the Sumidagawa fireworks. There were so many fireworks there and some exploded in shapes like cats or pikachus. This firework show is the biggest firework festival in Tokyo so it was verrry busy and hard to find a place but we could see alright. We could just about see between the buildings.



After the fireworks we got a very crowded train to an Izakaya in Roppongi. I'm not sure what some of the food was but it was really nice (I would never have eaten something if i didn't know what it was a couple of years ago!) After this we went to Vanity club in Roppongi (still wearing the yuukata!) This place had an amazing view! It's quite high up so you can see a lot of Roppongi and maybe some other places too. Even in the toilet cubicles the back wall was glass so you could see the view from there. After this I missed the last train so Nanoka said I could stay at hers like Tom and Kawakami. I stayed in a traditional tatami room on a futon on the floor and slept really well!


2 comments:

  1. Becci - a couple of years ago you wouldn't have eaten anything that came from Sainsbury's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a bit longer ago than that! lol xx

    ReplyDelete