Sunday 25 February 2018

Nagoya Birthday trip part 5

Nagoya 名古屋

When I arrived at Nagoya Station I headed straight over to my hostel, Glocal Nagoya Backpackers Hostel, where I would be staying for two nights. I had a bottom bunk bed with a curtain. The people working at the hostel's bar were friendly so I sat chatting with them and some of their regulars all evening. I hadn't really planned what to do in Nagoya, so I took their recommendations. They also had cider!! Something you don't see very often in Japan.

First I headed over to Atsuta Shrine, one of the most important Shinto shrines in the country. It holds one of the three sacred imperial regalia. There's also a big tree that's been there for more than 1000 years.
The people at the hostel recommended Inuyama Castle, close to Nagoya, but as I only had a day I visited Nagoya Castle. There was a Spring Festival going on, so I tried some local street food and watched a taiko drumming group perform in front of the castle. I had Nagoya tebasaki spicy chicken wings.














The people working and drinking at the hostel were running a bar at a market in Noritake Garden, so I headed over for a birthday drink. Then I was taken for another Nagoya speciality, misonikomi udon, udon noodles cooked in a miso broth.

After food I headed to the Osu shopping area to see Osu Kannon Temple and have a wander.


That last photo is in support of Kumamoto, an area that had recently been hit by a big earthquake. The bear is called Kumamon, the mascot of Kumamoto Prefecture. 
I finished my Birthday off with a walk around by the Nagoya TV Tower and trying some more local food, Hitsumabushi. At the restaurant there were instructions on how to eat this meal. First you divide the bowl of rice and eel into quarters. You eat the first serving normally. To the second serving you add the nori seaweed, spring onions, and wasabi. Then you pour the dashi broth over the remaining half. I loved the food in Nagoya, it might have been my favourite day of my birthday trip because of the food.


No comments:

Post a Comment